Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Hasselblad 500 C/M

Where do you begin talking about a camera that's as famous as the 500 C/M? The camera that went to the moon, the camera used by the best photographers, the camera that spawned scores of imitators? I've heard the name and the legend for as long as i've had an interest in photography, but it wasn't until a month ago that I actually held one in my hands and learned how it works. I read a great article recently about the amazing variety of designs and functions in film cameras. There were thousands and thousands of cameras made in the last century and a half and they came in every color and shape and concept imaginable. That's half the fun of playing with old cameras, and a big reason why digital feels stale to me lately, everything looks and feels the same. So I learned that the shutter is in the lens, and the film gets loaded in the back and you can swap backs mid roll, and then held it and felt the "CLUNK" when you press the button... it was magical. It just felt right, there's nothing to criticize. I borrowed it from a friend and coworker who hadn't used it for 10 years and couldn't understand why I wanted to lug it around on my honeymoon. I dont think I came up with a good answer but I packed it up and skipped town before he could rethink the proposition. By now if you read this blog you've seen four or five posts of photos I took on the 'blad. Hopefully you found something reminiscent of "art" or a glimmer of inspiration in them. All I know is that i'll treasure those photos for life and not a day goes by where I don't browse ebay looking for that perfect deal. 




No comments:

Post a Comment